DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. — The suspect in the shooting of a Daytona Beach police office has been taken into custody.

According to Daytona Beach police, Othal Toreyane Resheen Wallace was taken into custody early Saturday in a wooded area just outside of Atlanta.

What You Need To Know

"I'm thrilled to announce that the search warrant resulted in the arrest of Othal Wallace," said Daytona Beach Police Chief Jakari Young during a news conference Saturday morning.

Wallace had been the subject of a manhunt since the June 23 shooting of Daytona Beach police officer Jason Raynor.

Police say the 26-year-old Raynor was patrolling on Kingston Avenue on Wednesday night when he approached a man who appeared suspicious.

Body camera video released by the police department shows Raynor walking up to the 29-year-old Wallace, asking him whether he lived nearby.

The video shows Wallace getting agitated, and then a gunshot is fired.

Young said Wallace's capture happened at a 3-acre property, which has two structures, a trailer and a treehouse.

Wallace was apprehended in the treehouse, Young said, adding that Wallace had with him: Two rifles, two handguns, multiple flashbangs, rifle plates, body armor and several boxes of ammo.

Young said the property was affiliated with a group called the Not F'ing Around Coalition, also known as NFAC, and it is a black nationalist paramilitary organization.

Young also said that a large arsenal of weapons was found in the main residence of the property and four people were located there. When asked about the four people, Young said he did not have any information about them.

The U.S. Marshals, FBI, Homeland Security and Georgia State Patrol were all involved in the apprehension. The Georgia State Patrol executed the search warrant at 2:30 a.m. 

A Daytona Beach police officer was with law enforcement during the capture of Wallace and they put Raynor's handcuffs on him, said Young.

The police chief described how law enforcement worked "tirelessly" for 56 hours in the search for Wallace, saying that many got very little sleep.

“The investigation as a whole was extremely challenging,” Young said. “The biggest challenge was just keeping everyone emotionally intact. Because officer safety is critical.”

Young said Wallace did make a statement after being taken into custody wearing body armour. Young said Wallace told authorities: "You guys know who I am. You guys know what I'm capable of. It could have been a lot worse."

Young did not say how long it would take before Wallace is brought back to Volusia County. He will likely face attempted murder of a law enforcement officer charges. 


Young also gave an update Saturday morning on Raynor, saying the officer's condition is making slow improvements. 

The Daytona Beach Police Department said an online funding site has been set up for Raynor to help pay medical expenses and to support his family., or any other third-party online fundraiser, is not managed by Spectrum Bay News 9 or Spectrum News 13. For more information on how GoFundMe works and its rules, visit

Live Updates From the Scene



Facebook Twitter