Squirrel picked as SunRail safety mascot

By Marjorie Sturgeon, Web Content Editor
Last Updated: Saturday, September 07, 2013, 9:48 AM
Viewer Poll

What do you think of SunRail's new mascot?

This poll is not scientific and reflects the opinions of only those internet users who have chosen to participate.

A squirrel is bearing SunRail’s message of train safety to youngsters across Central Florida.

Meet Tie. He has bent whiskers, gray fur, buck teeth and lanky arms, along with a bandaged tail. He’s the mascot for SunRail safety and has a weakness for acorns.

According to Florida Fish and Wildlife, the state of Florida is home to three species of squirrel -- the eastern gray, the fox and the southern flying squirrels, but Tie is a special “quirky” squirrel.

SunRail officials say Tie is a puppet that will be performing for audiences and teaching them how to be smart and safe around trains and railroad tracks.

He features a bandaged tail that twitches, and will have a dedicated puppeteer so that his voice and mannerisms are always the same.

“His bandaged tail has a sixth sense of sorts as it starts to twitch whenever a train is near,” a biography for the mascot included.

A promotional pamphlet compared the new mascot’s personality to puppet icons from the Muppets, including Miss Piggy, Kermit, Gonzo, Animal and Fozzy.

The pamphlet also includes quotes for him:

"Watch your tail and keep off the rail."

"No one is faster than a train, not even me...and I've got the tail to prove it."

"SunRail, there's nuttin' better...get it...I said nuttin'...cause I'm a squirrel..."

According to his bio, he has had more than his fair share of close calls with train tracks and will share those lessons.

Tell us what you think by leaving a comment below!

18 comments
Michelle
Michelle September 6, 2013 8:59 PM
Tie looks like he came to close to the sunrail tracks. Doesn't look much like a squirrel.
M.
M. September 6, 2013 9:00 PM
So SunRail's mascot is a squirrel that got HIT BY SUNRAIL?
Princessa
Princessa September 6, 2013 10:00 PM
Tie has been hit so many times by the sun rail he looks like a cat!

Seriously though Tie is a mess are they really considering him as a mascot!
Alex M
Alex M September 7, 2013 1:57 AM
Thank you for making my day, this is hilarious
Cashew
Cashew September 7, 2013 2:06 AM
Ugly as ****! Drew Curtis for President!
Mike
Mike September 7, 2013 6:42 AM
Seriously Cashew? Fark is terrible, and has been for years.
Gary
Gary September 7, 2013 9:46 AM
I see at least a dozen squirrels lying in, on, or beside the road, bellyup, on a daily basis, yea, thats a good safety mascot said no squirrel ever.
Ray
Ray September 7, 2013 9:56 AM
It is important to educate the public re: train safety. Every year a lot of vehicles and pedestrians lose in crashes with trains. With more trains running with SunRail, the problem could get worse. I applaud the effort, especially with children. The squirrel I'm not impressed with though.
Kevin
Kevin September 7, 2013 11:01 AM
Please tell me if/when plush doll versions of this... thing.. will be available!?
Bill in Clermont
Bill in Clermont September 7, 2013 3:16 PM
A squirrel that got ran over by a train and lived, that sounds disturbing for kids
Dr. Philip J. Shapiro
Dr. Philip J. Shapiro September 7, 2013 4:14 PM
Let's see what Tie looks like after the taxpayers of Florida get stuck with the bill for this project. A skunk might become more appropriate.
George
George September 7, 2013 8:01 PM
Looks like a rat, sure doesn't look like a squirrel.
Binh
Binh September 7, 2013 8:49 PM
Hideous, disturbing, and terrifying. Looks like something from a bad acid trip.
Marie
Marie September 7, 2013 9:12 PM
Seriously!? My 4 yr old HATED this thing! She said it looks like a monster. Who in their right mind thought this was a good idea??
Chuck
Chuck September 7, 2013 9:58 PM
There's only one rail safety campaign that will works... "Dumb Ways to Die."

Dawn
Dawn September 9, 2013 10:41 AM
To me it looks like the squirrel from the Ice Age movies... although that one was a lot cuter.
Chris
Chris September 9, 2013 9:31 PM
Mr. Tie the Squirrel looks like he's survived a couple close calls himself. Too bad...
M. H. Dolan
M. H. Dolan September 11, 2013 11:24 PM
OK--it's clear that the mandatory drug testing program at SR has some serious flaws. No non-impaired individual can POSSIBLY look at this deranged, ate-too-many-volts-for-breakfastcreature, and think Hey really cool. Puts Safety right out there. Tye rather resembles a lost extra from The Walking Dead, as opposed to a touchy-feely furry critter youd like to, uh, cuddle with.
Everyone knows they are rats with better wardrobes. But oh so concerned with human safety? Y-e-s. Squirrel Bob made me an involuntary member of the very large I hate squirrels! cl**** of people recently. A cherubic oldster, acting in accord with one of their deepest natural urges, ate through the third wire coming to the house. Result? A central nervous system-exploding BANG accompanied by the, uh, tangy smell of flash-frying squirrel. AND there was a rather alarming fireball at the electrical box. My power was out for six hours before repair.
And dont even get me started on how much I enjoy the furry multitudes who love to dine en m****e on the backyard bird seed. (Regrettably, my Doberman can only run down so many before she feels faint)
Well, warm and cuddly and built for safety? I fear I must say: no. no no no no no no no are you freakin kidding me no no no no no
You are signed in as:anonymous

POSTING PROCESS: Comments will appear on the page within 10 minutes of a submission. There is a 400 character limitation to each post and comments will be held to this restriction. If you see a post you feel violates the posting policy please click on Report this post for a staff member to review.

POSTING POLICY: Vulgar, obscene, and offensive language will not be tolerated. Anyone who uses such language in their post will not be allowed to participate in future comments. While we value freedom of speech, we also wish to protect our visitors from exposure to inflammatory content. Thank you.

COMMENTS BY USERS ARE NOT ENDORSED BY SERVICE PROVIDER: You can access the User Agreement at any time. Your use of and/or registration on any aspect of the Service will constitute your agreement to comply with these rules.